9/09/2014

The global impact of the past

What if my past determines the way I am, shapes the world that I see. And what if this "past" consists not only of the story of my life, but also the stories of the ones of my ancestors. All the conflicting thoughts that run through my head, the little hints of how it could easily feel different than it feels right now. Where do I know it from? Why do I have so much grief in me?

I'm not claiming that I'm connected magically with the people that lived here before me. But those people interacted with people who were my grandgrandparents, my grandgrandparents raised my grandparents, and my grandparents raised my parents, who in turn raised me. The world is wider than the frame of our words. What if memories and attitudes can also be passed, just like genes are? What if there's tremendously much more to it than people suspect nowadays?

For example, the war, it happened not that much time ago. My grandparents had traumatic experiences there. It's even hard for me to imagine what it could feel like, how hopeless nights they've been through. Yet still I am able to feel what may be an impact of this. The way I react inside to people passing me on the street, the way it feels when someone accuses me of something I'm not guilty of, the way I can't tolerate injustice, is it really coming only from social adaptation of human kind, or my cultural background? There are things deep in the back of my head which I can't explain by referring to the culture, my own history, also I cannot say that it's common things for everyone. But when my mom told me about the history of my grandparents, the ones I vaguely remember from when I was a child, then these things start making sense.

If I am right, then it's extremely important to know where you come from. To know the "context" of yourself. The modern culture of  separation of the individual is then bringing only bad. It's pushing us backwards on the evolution path..

or.. maybe it's just pushing us to a D-tour? With all the technological advancement we lost one factor of evolution which is geographical location. Maybe we are just adapting to the changed conditions. One thing is sure, they're not easy the times we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment