9/10/2014

What you see in TV

I was on the beach listening to young people speaking American English. And I had this thought, that in the end 99% of the movies I saw in my life were American movies. TV series, comedies, romantic comedies, what is played in TV, they are mostly American movies. They show the way that people there live, they show their culture, their way of speaking, their way of behaving..

..but for people from eastern Europe for example, those movies show nothing that is typical to them. Yet it is same in all the movies. I think that as being Polish, I have developed this model of a "movie" in my head, where movie means something artificial, where people behave in a certain (often weird) way, which has nothing to do with the reality.. and it has always felt to me that for some weird reason all the movies as shot in the same style, in the same convention.

But that is not true! They are shot in the same style not because of the "weird reason", but for the reason that this mimics the way of living of the people who made them! Such a discovery..

What follows this, it is so interesting to realise that a person coming from US may not have this "model of a movie" developed in their head at all. Therefore the notion of "a movie" may be totally different for different people, depending on where they come from. And people from one group probably never imagine that the other group can even exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment